Waste Prevention Is Even Better Than Recycling!
Before you buy, use or discard an item, ask yourself:
Can I buy this product with less packaging?
Can I or someone else use this again?
Can I recycle this after I use it?
Can I get this item with recycled content?
These links provide many specific ideas about how you can reduce waste:
King County Solid Waste
Washington State Department of Ecology Beyond Waste Project
Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality's new Waste Prevention Strategy
Alternative Gifts International
- Technical and marketing assistance to selected Puget Sound area businesses that process recyclable materials or use them to manufacture recycled-content products.
- Swap, sell and buy clothes with people from around the world.
Conspicuous Consumption to Calculated Consumption
- What would the world look like if everyone lived like me?
Earth Day: Waste Management Makes Every Day Earth Day
Environmental Education Links
- Guides and other resources for salvage, reuse and "building green".
- Information to help consumers make environmentally-friendly purchases. Consumers Union is the publisher of Consumer Reports magazine.
King County Green Schools Program
- Assisting schools to recycle and conserve resources
Mail Preference Service
- Remove your name from mailing lists
People for Puget Sound
Reusable Packaging Association
Spring Cleaning: Remember to Reuse and Recycle
Staycation to save money and the environment!
Valentine's Day: Give Love - Not Extra Waste
Washington Citizens for Resource Conservation
Washington Toxics Coalition
These links will open a new browser window.
Print This Page