Cascade Recycling Center was built in 2003 at a cost of $22 million. The facility processes recyclables from King, Snohomish, Skagit, Kittitas, Chelan and Douglas counties.
Scale and Recording
- Route trucks and trailer loads of mixed recyclables weigh in at automated Mettler-Toledo scale system
- Toledo Unattended Automated Date Terminal captures vehicle data and weight from readers mounted in trucks
- Trucks empty recyclables onto tipping floor and weigh out to determine load weight.
- Waste Handler front loader pushes material onto residential conveyor.
- Pre-sorters remove garbage, scrap metal, phone books, plastic film and large plastic items.
- Garbage (primarily plastic bags, trays, packaging) is conveyed to trash. compactor
- Removed recyclables are put in separate containers to await transport & baling.
- Mechanical screens remove fiber from mixed recyclables by size & weight:
- first cardboard
- then newspaper
- then mixed paper
- Quality control sorters remove and redirect incorrect items from each fiber line.
- Sorted fiber drops into storage bunkers to await baling.
- Glass, metal and plastic containers are conveyed into mechanical glass screen.
- Glass breaks to minus 2" pieces and drops onto glass conveyor
- Broken glass is conveyed to air classifier for vacuum removal of shredded paper and caps, which go to trash compactor.
- Vacuumed glass is conveyed to bunker to await loading.
- Magnetic belt removes steel cans, which are conveyed to silo to await baling.
- Sorters separate plastic into silos for PET, natural HDPE, colored HDPE, and other bottles and dairy tubs.
- Eddy current separates aluminum cans.
- Residue returns to mixed paper screen for reprocessing.
- Sorted materials conveyed from bunkers and silos to balers.
- Bales are transported by forklift to shipping containers at loading dock.
- Materials are shipped to domestic and international markets for processing into recycled content products.
- Lubo USA Conveyor System
- Stationery Grapple feeds materials to sorting conveyor to remove occ, plastic film, etc.
- Marathon shredder reduces materials to 24 inches.
- Magnetic belt removes metal - conveyed to load out container.
- Misting system reduces dust.
- Single stream residential and commercial recyclables
- Construction, Demolition and Land clearing Debris
- Source separated fiber, containers, wood
- Fiber - primarily Pacific Rim (9,000 - 72%)
- Steel - Arrow Metals, Woodinville (250 - 3%)
- Aluminum Cans- Anheuser Busch, Tennessee (80 - 1%)
- Glass (1,300 - 16%)
- Plastics (240 - 3%) end markets include:
KW Plastics.Bakersfield, CA
Merlin Plastics, British Columbia
- Wood - industrial fuel (700)
- 82,000 sq. ft. building on approximately 6.25 acres.
- Tipping floor and processing area - 52,200 sq. ft.
- Eight loading docks for outbound trailers
- Design Throughput Capacity:
28 tons/hour residential single stream
20 tons/hour commercial mixed fiber
10 tons/hour construction, demolition, land clearing debris (cdl)
- Average Throughput:
500 tons/day (12-13,000 tons/month residential single stream
500 tons/mo commercial
300-400 tons/day (6500-8500 tons/month) cdl
| Granite Falls
- Snohomish County
- Administrative and supervisory: 7
- Equipment operators, utility workers, and maintenance: 26
- Sorters: 80