Help your area win this competition!
Shop smart. Waste less. Recycle more. Tell others.
Here are some tips to reduce your garbage and help your region win the $5,000 Waste Reduction Prize!
- Opt out of unwanted junk mail, catalogs and phone books.
- Buy groceries in bulk quantities, using reusable containers. Think of how many containers you can save by buying bulk rice, dried beans and flour!
- Plan meals without waste.
- Visit your local Seattle Public Library for books, magazines, DVDs, and CDs
- Rent or borrow equipment.
- To reduce packaging, shop at your local farmers market.
- Sell items you no longer want and find bargains at consignment shops, garage sales, thrift stores, online exchanges and auctions like eBay and Craig's List.
- Buy long-lasting durable products that last longer than disposable products.
- Bring your own reusable bags and containers when you shop.
- Use a reusable water bottle instead of buying a disposable plastic one and drink coffee from a reusable mug instead of paper cups.
- Visit the South Seattle Household Hazardous Waste Facility for free hazardous products, including oil-based paint, household cleansers, wood care products, antifreeze and other automotive products.
- Always think twice before printing. Print double-sided and learn other ways to save paper through the City of Seattle's PaperCuts reduction strategies.
- Pack lunches with reusables - Tupperware, bags, and utensils.
- Donate old magazines to charities, doctor's offices, hospitals, schools or your local gym.
- Teach your neighbors about this competition by getting involved with outreach challenges in your neighborhood.