Seattle's Clear Alleys Program (CAP)Replaces dumpsters, creating cleaner, safer alleys!
WM is the service provider for CAP in the Pioneer Square, International District and Columbia City neighborhoods.
The goals of the program are to:
- Create cleaner, safer business districts
- Reduce uncivil behaviors and illegal activities in alleys
- Increase the attractiveness of alleys for pedestrian use
- Allow better alley access for business services such as deliveries
- The City of Seattle has designated Pioneer Square, the International District and Columbia City as "Clear Alleys" Business Districts. Garbage and recycling containers can only be placed in public alleyways for restricted time periods.
How It Works
Unless a business has available designated or private inside storage space, specially marked plastic bags are used for garbage and recycling, set out in alleys, and collected at least twice per day.
Special Clear Alleys garbage and recycling bags from Waste Management* can be set out three hours before a scheduled pick-up.
Multifamily (apartment) customers that order garbage bags will receive the equivalent number of recycling bags for free. Please input the number of rolls you need and, if you are a multifamily customer, you will not get charged.
WM will provide service every day, seven days a week, 24/7. Bags are collected at least twice a day in the Pioneer Square, International District and Columbia City neighborhoods.
Service Area Maps
Pioneer Square | International District | Columbia City
Collection Bag Pricing
Prices vary depending on the type of bag purchased. All collection bags are sold by the roll.
(Prices below effective April 1, 2022)
- Commercial customers will pay a monthly service charge of $31.20.
- Multifamily customers will pay a monthly service charge of $46.35.
- Multifamily (apartment) customers that order garbage bags will receive the equivalent number of recycling bags for free.
- Bag collection costs and shipping via USPS are included in the purchase fee.
- Expedited shipping is available upon request for an extra fee.
How To Start Service
Please call WM Seattle CAP Customer Service at 1-855-894-9447 to set up your account and place your first order.
Order New Bags
Subsequent orders can be made online - Click here.
Participating is Simple
Use the special pre-paid color-coded and branded bags ordered from Waste Management, for your garbage and recycling. Garbage bags are gray with black lettering; recycle bags are clear with green lettering.
|Start using bags immediately upon receiving them.|
|When full, ensure bag is securely closed. (limit 60 lbs.)|
|Set out securely tied bags in your alley. Garbage bags are collected 3x per day in the morning, a.ernoon and night.|
Flatten and bundle cardboard or put
inside a cardboard box or approved
recycling bag. Recycling is collected 2x
per day in the morning or late afternoon.|
Order more bags or
bulky item tags by calling
1-855-894-9447 or online -